This month, the law library is bringing together two of our favorite things: celebrating women and March Madness! You may have noticed this awesome display in the lobby to the library and wondered what it’s for.
This competition is meant to introduce you to some fabulous women in legal history, and to act as stress relief as we head into the middle of the semester. You’ll have a chance to learn about some inspiring women and win some cool prizes!
Here’s how it works:
- Starting on March 1, 2018, two legal figures will face each other to determine which of the two is the most inspiring female legal figure. For each match, anyone can cast a single vote for who they believe is the most inspiring. You can vote by participating in our daily Twitter or Facebook poll, or by casting a vote at the Circulation Desk. Matches will occur each day, including Saturdays and Sundays.
- Starting Monday, February 26, 2018 (today!), 101 decks of seven cards each (six trading cards + one rule card) will be available at the Circulation Desk on a first-come, first-served basis. Decks will be available until a single legal figure remains.
- The contest will be divided into five rounds corresponding with the tournament bracket displayed near the Circulation Desk:
- First Round: Entry opens Monday, February 26th at noon // Entry closes Thursday, March 1st at 5:00pm // Eight winners announced Monday, March 19th.
- Second Round: Entry opens Thursday, March 1st at 8:00am // Entry closes Friday, March 16th at 5:00pm // Four winners announced Monday, March 26th.
- Third Round: Entry opens Thursday, March 1st at 8:00am // Entry closes Saturday, March 24th at 5:00pm // Three winners announced Thursday, March 29th.
- Fourth Round: Entry opens Thursday, March 1st at 8:00am // Entry closes Wednesday, March 28th at 5:00pm // Two winners announced Monday, April 2nd.
- Fifth Round: Entry opens Thursday, March 1st at 8:00am // Entry closes Saturday, March 31st at 5:00pm // Winner announced Monday, April 2nd.
- Participants enter a round by signing (legibly) and dating the card of a legal figure they believe will survive a round of competition and placing the card in the ballot box for that round before entry closes. Participants may NOT enter each round more than once. Neither illegibly signed cards, nor the cards of participants who enter more than one card into a single round will be considered.
- Winners are decided according to the following method: (1) At the close of each round, the ballot box for the round will be collected, (2) participants who provide an incorrect answer will be removed from consideration, (3) participants rendered ineligible from participation in the round under Rule 4 (above) will be removed from consideration; and (5) participants who provide a correct answer earn one additional chance to win for each round that closed after their entry was made and before the current round closed, (6) after additional chances to win are determined, winners will be randomly drawn from a bowl of the contestants’ names.
- Example: A enters a correct answer for the Championship round on Thursday, March 1st. B enters a correct answer fro the Championship round on Monday, March 26th. Initially, both A and B have one chance to win. However, because four rounds closed after A submitted their answer, A will receive four additional chances to win for a total of five chances. In comparison, B will only receive two chances to win because only one round ended after they entered their card.
Stop by today to pick up your pack of cards! The prizes get better with every round, so play hard and play often!